Friday, January 10, 2020

Music in the city

Outer Journey

New Orleans music was everywhere, and I loved it. I have never really listened to too much Jazz before unless I go to a concert or music festival. But after this trip I will be changing that. I absolutely fell in love with all the different variations I heard and saw. I think that one of the groups that I loved the most was at a bar in the French quarter. They were full of life and made you want to get up and dance with them. They had a lot of brass instruments and horns. Their music was loud, sharp, and you could feel it in your bones. I just wanted to dance and move to the beat. The energy they gave off was fun and upbeat and really made you feel like you were at your own personal concert or show. The group had both males and females in it and the lead singer had an amazing voice on her. She was moving around the crowd and would stop and sing at the bars countertop which made it that much more personal and interactive. It was also a colorful show and there was many lights and things to look at. They had these lights going that made the floor look like you were wading in water. Everything from the musical instruments to the musicians was perfect and made me really feel out of my normal musical comfort zone. I am sad that I have missed out on many years of this type of music and I can not wait for my next opportunity to go see a jazz band.

Here are some links to videos I took of some bands I saw on our free night.



en?id=0B7qQp7JRBnj1WElrYXRTTFFGMkxyX3BBakRRQUlMaDhfeXIw






Inner Journey

The music had to be one of my favorite things to stop and listen to. I love that each person’s music was unique to them and everyone had their own style but yet it was all so “New Orleans style” I heard many preforms playing jazz, some contemporary, and others just one instrument. I saw many street performers working alone to make music but mostly I saw groups of people working together to play music, sing, and dance. For example, outside of the famous CafĂ© Du monde they had a large group of men probably 5-7 of them playing Jazz music. They had many different instruments and many different talents that they brought together. I also was lucky enough to visit the Frenchman street and go to a few different shows in some of the bars there. The music was so different, and it was more of a professional feel. The music was amazing, it was loud and at times gave me chills it was so good. It was music I have never heard before I typically do not listen to Jazz on a normal basis but now, I will start. I think it was really exciting to see them live and feel the energy they were giving off. One of the street performers that stuck out to me the most was one of our tour guides cousins. She played the clarenent and also had an entire band with her. She performed a solo where she played the clarinet for several minutes and at the end held a high note for an extremely long time. I’m not sure how she did not run out of air. This woman’s lungs must be in really good shape. Several of the locals told us about her and told us we should go see her. They explained that she had performed on that same corner for several years.




No comments:

Post a Comment